Digital StrategyStrategy is, well, strategic. It's all about having a well stocked tool kit and knowing when to use the right tool for the job. I've used the following methodologies in both formal and guerrilla contexts.
- Developed brand positionings, creative briefs, and personas.
- Assessed and documented scope and functional specifications.
- Conducted stakeholder interviews, competitive assessments, focus groups and usability testing with consumers.
- Designed digital experience through prototypes and wireframes; collaborated with visual designers and developers.
TeamworkMy favorite part of work is working with people. Collaboration takes work, but it pays off in much more creative and thoroughly considered design.
- Coordinated relationships between design and development teams to affectively execute appropriate web strategy.
- Managed on- and off-site teams (in Finland, Poland, Russia, and India).
- Tracked hours and financial information for a project.
- Created weekly project status reports for the client.
Software ExpertiseDesign can take place anywhere. One of my favorite tools is a white board. Or paper. I'm also fond of the following tools.
- Web planning and prototyping: Axure, OmniGraffle, Foundation (HTML), Keynote, and Balsamiq.
Software and Programming ExperienceI like to build things. Even if I'm not developing my designs, I like to have an idea about how it all works. I'm just curious that way.
- Dynamic and flexible web page design: HTML5, CSS3, responsive frameworks (e.g., Foundation), jQuery, PHP, MySQL, and WordPress.
Senior Interaction DesignerHYDRANT | San Francisco, CA November 2012 - Present
Designed marketing and e-commerce experiences to work across mobile, desktop, and kiosks. Scenarios often included accommodating for multiple and discrete audiences, sometimes with disparate behaviors.
Senior User Experience DesignerHot Studio | San Francisco, CA June 2011 - October 2012
Led the long-term strategic relationship for one of the largest accounts at Hot in 2012. Collaborated closely with all team members (internally and with clients and their vendors) to design and test user-centered digital experiences. Designed quickly and iteratively, producing varied deliverables (from collaborative sketches to traditional wireframes to HTML prototypes) within the framework of larger strategic projects.
Eaton Vance case study
SportStream case study
FunTracker case study
Experience DesignerFreelance Consultant | San Francisco, CA February 2011 - May 2011 | Cambridge, MA July 2008 - August 2008
Consulted on iterative projects in process, providing heuristic evaluations to make incremental design improvements. Designed information architecture strategies to significantly improve the flow and usability of interfaces.
The High Bar case study
Account SupervisorIsobar North America | San Francisco, CA August 2010 - January 2011
Responsible for the successful management of client relationships and account team leadership. Created, developed and strengthened strategic client relationships. Identified the approach and strategic direction for the accounts with the input of internal stakeholders and clients. Nurtured two accounts to become million dollar revenue streams for 2011, one of which started as a $75k project.
Experience Design ConsultantIsobar North America (née Molecular) | Watertown, MA November 2007 - July 2010
Led the design and execution of usability, information architecture, and taxonomy creation. Supported the development and delivery of information architecture strategies, taxonomies, business requirements, audience and competitive analysis, content inventories, and creative briefs.
Nokia case study
Northwestern Mutual case study
Digital Experience SpecialistMechanica Branding | Newburyport, MA May 2006 - November 2007
Responsible for information architecture and digital planning, presenting strategy and comps to clients, managing design and development teams, and testing.
Research & Strategy
Assistant Brand PlannerMechanica Branding | Newburyport, MA February 2005 - May 2006
Performed quantitative and qualitative research, based on the needs of the project. Creation of brand positioning and audience segmentation. Worked with a number of clients: Forest City Enterprises; NBC Online; Blockbuster Online; Chaps; Chemistry.com (IAC); Pronto.com (IAC); Animal Rescue League; Next Street Financial, LLC.
Specializing in popular culture, sports, race, and gender, I taught students in a range of levels. In addition to many years of introductory sociology, I created two specialized curricula for intersections of race and gender in both sports and mainstream films.
- Adjunct Professor, Wentworth Institute of Technology, Boston, MA (2004)
- Adjunct Professor, Boston College, Chestnut Hill, MA (2003-2004)
- W.E.B. Du Bois Teaching Fellow, University of Maine, Orono, ME (2002-2003)
- Adjunct Instructor, Santa Fe Community College, Gainesville, FL (1999-2000)
- Instructor, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL (1998-2001)
Sociology Evaluation Research
Project Coordinator, Program Evaluation (2000-2001), Healthy Families Jacksonville Evaluation Team, Department of Family, Youth and Community Sciences, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Conducted quantitative survey analysis of the efficacy of the Healthy Families Jacksonville program which provides support to women and children who are at risk for child neglect. I managed a team of four researchers and two data collectors, synthesized and analyzed the data, and contributed to the final report.
Research Assistant, Program Evaluation (1997), Center for Youth Research, University of Hawaii, Manoa, HI
- Contributing to a 15 year study, I conducted focus groups with at-risk teens on Molokai, Hawaii, and Oahu.
Doctorate, Sociology (2003)
- University of Florida
- Focus on popular culture, media, and fans.
- Dissertation nominated for Phi Beta Kappa
Masters, Sociology (1999)
- University of Florida
Bachelors, Sociology (1996)
- Rollins College, Summa Cum Laude